My life on the Homefront.....Be Safe....Love, Mom

From Plebe year to the hat toss, diapers to carrier landings, Okinawa to Kabul-life as a military mom has it's challenges!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

On the bus

Today reminded me of the times when I was 13 and 14 years old and a military brat in Germany. My mom made me-emphasis on the made-use public transportation to get around. I did not realize at the time what an important life skill it would be-but I spent many an hour riding in the wrong direction unable to speak the language and afraid to ask. Obviously I got over it but today was a deja vue experience.

It all started when I decided to go get my Afghan visa. My husband has been flying the last two days-and after sleeping and staying in the hotel I had to get out. Besides we may go to Kabul any day now and I needed my visa. So I started with a taxi and made my way to the Afghanistan Consulate. I stood in line to get a number-then moved to the next room to turn in my paperwork. Sounds easy-NOT! You could only turn it in when the window opened-kind of like the Wizard of OZ. Dozens of us stood there waiting-people of different nationalities with a reduced need for personal space crowded around me. But I used my skills honed in Europe to plant my feet and take up as much space as I could-and remained in reach of the window. Finally the window moved and we thrust our documents into the space-hoping they would be processed today. But wait-there's more.

Now it was time to sit and wait for the opportunity to pay. The waiting room was filled with a very diverse group of people . I met a former Marine built like Arnold Schwarzenegger who had done three tours in Iraq and two in Afghanistan-his gig-why security of course. I met an American woman who has been a journalist in Kabul -we had a great conversation. And oh yes-I did bring my knitting. Finally two hours later they called my number-I paid them 30 bucks and got the instructions to return at 3PM to pick up my visa. So now what? It i s114 degrees-what else but to go to one of the many malls to stay cool of course.

Once again I chickened out and took a cab. But after lunch I decided to be brave and get a bus pass-my mom would be so proud. The air conditioned bus stop made waiting easy and the bus was clean and new with a flat screen display announcing all the stops. What could be easier? I got cocky and decided to take the bus all the way back despite the fact that it went to a major bus station for a transfer. At the station it was pretty confusing-and I almost headed off to get a cab when I saw my bus. Fate-it must mean I am meant to keep going. As I lined up I noticed that I was the only woman getting on -and one of the drivers asked me where I was going. "Immigration," I said and he shook his head as he motioned me on.

We started off into the heavy traffic, past the high rises of Dubai and the tallest building in the world. the flat screen was not turned on but I was sure I would recognize my stop. Pretty soon things were spreading out and I noticed the Burj Dubai in the distance. Funny I did not remember that from before-jet lag can really get you. Now we turned into an industrial area and as the road got narrower and narrower I began to have a sinking feeling. We were in the projects-the places where the laborers live-and I was a minority of one. The bus finally stopped at the end of the line and the driver said ," Why are you here? Immigration was the first stop" Oops....

Luckily the transfer bus was there-after five minute conversation with many glances in my direction I was placed on the bus and given specific instructions as to when to get off. In hindsight, it was a part of Dubai I probably would never have seen before. But I did what any sane woman would do - got off the bus at my stop, took a cab to the consulate and had him wait while I got my visa and then headed back to the hotel.

Anyone need a partially used DubaiBus card?

No comments:

Post a Comment