My life on the Homefront.....Be Safe....Love, Mom

From Plebe year to the hat toss, diapers to carrier landings, Okinawa to Kabul-life as a military mom has it's challenges!

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Something tells me

I'm not in Kansas anymore... I am in Dubai as in the United Arab Emirates just across the straits from Iran. Why here-well the succinct version is that my husband has been here flying for an Afghan airline SafiAirways since age 60 grounded him the USA. He flies from Dubai-into and all over Afghanistan. How did he get from US Airways to SAfiAirways? Well that is a story for another day. Now that school is out and things are caught up here on the farm I am here to join the adventure.

No I am not wearing a burka-but there are a lot of women who are. Today I mall walked-too hot walk outside-and checked prices. Many of the wealthy women here are walking around with designer bags and clothing underneath black silk and embroidered abayas(The abaya "cloak" (Arabic: عباية‎ ‘abāya[tu] or عباءة ‘abā'a[tu], plural عبايات ‘abāyā[tu]) is an overgarment worn by some women in parts of the Islamic world.) Some of the more ornate ones stated at 200 bucks. And that is just the top layer. Of course my husband tells me it will be quite a different world in Kabul.

It is hot, hot , hot. This morning it felt like Phoenix-but tonight when I left the hotel my glasses fogged up immediately. I could not help but think of my children's USNA classmates serving in Iraq with dozens of pounds of body armor in this heat. I need to buy an umbrella-no rain in the forecast until January but it is great protection from the pounding sun.

The call to prayer sounds five times a day broadcast on loudspeaker from dozens of mosques. I was sitting at Starbucks in the mall when it sounded-it permeates everywhere as reminder of the faith so many share here. There are a large number of westerners and actually people from all over the world. I have to hold myself back from asking with Midwestern openness, "So where are you from? " It just doesn't feel right-definitely not in Kansas anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Yipee! A bryeblog!!

    What should I call mine? A Peskepatter? A Peskepoop?

    Called your boy toda...we'll make a connection in early July for dinner. Yup, yup, found out he flew solo this week!! So AT LAST when I am praying or those pilots overhead multiple times a day, I'm really and truly praying for Eric!

    Your sharing about Dubai reminds me alot of Janell's stories. Such a different world...

    Sooooo glad you and Courtney have some couple time.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete