My life on the Homefront.....Be Safe....Love, Mom

From Plebe year to the hat toss, diapers to carrier landings, Okinawa to Kabul-life as a military mom has it's challenges!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

the Skies of Afghanistan

The day began very early yesterday as I joined my husband on his flight to Kabul-via Kandihar.I was a little uneasy-security was reporting Code Red with significant street fighting. But airport security is good and I woud just be staying on the plane. It was dark as we flew over the Straits of Hormuz and Iran. As the sun rose I could see the arid landscape below. It looks a lot like Arizona and New Mexico.As we got closer to Kandihar it was difficult see in the dust and sand filled air.

The first thing I noticed upon landing was all the military hardware-armored vehicles and rows of military aircraft. As we pulled up to the terminal there was a guard post with machine guns and sandbags. Hmmm-definitely not the TSA.


The passengers who were lined up did not look like the nighbor next door. Many bearded men with long robes and turbans were ready the for the next leg.
The only woman was wearing a burkha-I decided it was time to put my head scarf on.Military aircraft were taking off and I realized that could be my boy next year
We were ready to take off for Kabul but then the unexpected happened. They had been transporting drug dogs-and one escaped from his kennel.
After a few tense moments my husband drew on all his farm experience to catch him. Now dog whisperer is added to his list of duties flying here in this part of the world

Dog duties left behind and now we headed north to Kabul. The terrain rapidly became more rugged and there dozens of peaks.In the river valleys you could see small settlements and a few terraced fields. As we got closer to Kabul high snowy peaks formed a semicircle to the north. In the valley there were many walled homes -five million people live in Kabul.. We descended and it was time to land-and start another adventure. As I climbed into the van with the armed guard I wondered what my dad woud be thinking-probably you go girl!

The drive to the downotwn was quite amazing. I cannot empahsize the poverty combined with commerce. Small huts house people and products to see.
Donkey carts and horses have their own lane in the 4 lane highway. As we got into downtown the roads narrowed and traffic became congested. We arrived at the hotel with multiple armed gaurds out front. It is very nice and located by a roundabout where you can see all manner of activities. Directly across from the hotel is a butcher shop with goat carcasses hanging next to a bread bakery where long flat loaves are baked and hung in the windows.

We are not suppose to wander about-but two passengers had told me of a shop where everything was made by Afghan women. After a couple of wrong turns we found it along a garbage and goat strewn street. You knock at the gate and are allowed to enter a beautiful grassy compound surrounded with roses. The shop was lovely and we found some great things to bring home and my Afghn wardrobe-shirt,pants, scarf for thirty bucks.

Tomorrow when my husband returns from his flight to Dubai we are being taken on a tour of the city. And tonight I am hotel bound-not a place for a woman to wander about alone. So I will head to the lobby and hope there is wireless between the occasional power failures and upload this blog and try to call home.Good night from Kabul.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! Thanks for another fantastic post on the Brye family adventures that never stop!!

    ReplyDelete