My life on the Homefront.....Be Safe....Love, Mom

From Plebe year to the hat toss, diapers to carrier landings, Okinawa to Kabul-life as a military mom has it's challenges!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dinner..at the White House?

Even as I write this title I am thinking, was this real? Have I lost my mind? But it is true-I have the pictures and hundreds of hits on Google to prove it. I am sitting on my porch on the farm, barefoot and all listening to the birds and watching the forsythia unfold before my eyes. It is a far cry from dinner last Wednesday night, believe you me!

You all know the rest of the story, but as we walked toward the receiving line we had no idea of the honor that lay before us. I kept waiting for someone to tell me how to behave but no one did. I took a deep breath and I handed my card to the announcer, and there I was standing in front of the President of the United States. So I did what came naturally. After he warmly greeted me I said, Thank you so much, Mr. President for inviting me, and these are for you!" What were they ? Pictures of my kids of course-not just any pictures, but one of all four in uniform, and another of him presenting our daughter with her USNA diploma. "Do you remember that sweet face? " I asked with a laugh. He got a big kick out of it. "Shall I sign them or keep them?, he asked. I stammered back, "I guess keep them," feeling like I had already gone too far. He turned to the Prime Minister and showed him the pics as he introduced me. (An aide did come up to me and ask how the pictures should be signed-so sweet)

So now I was face to face with a very tall, lovely Mrs. Obama. "Elaine, we are so happy you are here tonight, "she said warmly. I thanked her and said, " I just gave your husband some pictures." She replied," Don't worry about that-we will have plenty of time to chat-you will be sitting with us." And then I was enveloped in a huge hug.I was dumbstruck-and those of you who know me personally know that is hard to do . I was fanning my face and stammering while everyone around us was beaming. She turned to Mrs. Cameron and said, "Samantha, this is Elaine Brye, mom of four service members-she will be at our table tonight. "

I wanted to scream like my good friend Amanda "AAACKKKK!," but instead allowed myself to be led toward the tent still in shock. My husband behind me Ithink ( I was aware of no one else on the planet) also got a huge hug and kiss. Thank goodness for the aides and Senator and Mrs.Lugar-they got us onto the trolley that took us to the tent.

I continued to hyperventilate but knew there were two things I had to do. Go to the bathroom and call my daughter. " Katie !", I whispered breathlessly , "Keep watching!" She and baby Colton had been watching C-Span coverage on the internet. " We are sitting with the President and Mrs. Obama!" "WHAT!!!" she shouted back at me. " I am not kidding-gotta go." And with that I moved through the crowd to find where we were sitting.  At this point I did not know who else would be there, I was just trying to comprehend it all-I still don't!



The theme was English Country Garden. The tent was back lit with pinks and purples-the exact shade of my dress to be specific:) The tables were covered with pink and purple flowers. The chairs were clear Lucite-almost like Cinderella's slipper. Quite appropriate since that is how I felt. Here is a peek at the place settings and tables.

The Head Table-who knew Table 20 would be the one?

It's for me-really!
The flowers are a lot like Katie and Preston's wedding





But wait -there's more....in the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment