My life on the Homefront.....Be Safe....Love, Mom

From Plebe year to the hat toss, diapers to carrier landings, Okinawa to Kabul-life as a military mom has it's challenges!

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dinner is served

Our hosts and the special guests

The fairy tale continues...

In the back of the room was a bank of photographers  and TV cameras. Thankfully I was sitting at the end of the table so my profile was visible-not my backside. Here is a link to the seating chart and bios.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/whos-at-the-head-table-for-the-white-house-state-dinner-for-britain/2012/03/14/gIQA78vrCS_blog.html

I was sitting next to Warren Buffet's daughter and the date of Marva Smalls, Nickelodeon executive and the wife of the Vice Chair of the Joint Chiefs. George sat between her and Mrs. Obama. Most of my conversation was with that group. Meanwhile at the other end of the table, Courtney was seated between the Medal of Honor winner and his wife. He did  have some conversation with Warren Buffet but did not disclose that he used to fly for USAirways. Warren has been quoted as saying that was the worst investment he ever made. He probably should have asked for a job at Net Jets!

The President and Prime Minister both gave speeches right in front of us. All around us were incredibly accomplished people who were probably wondering who we were and why we were there. Of course we were still wondering the same thing and continue to marvel at it.

 Prime Minister Cameron spoke about the close relationship between the two countries and he used an example from Libya. At the break I approached him and told him how one of our boys was flying over Libya last summer and how I had been so concerned since Libya has more advanced anti aircraft weaponry. When I asked my son about it, he said they did have some difficult situations.  When I asked what they did, he said "We called the Brits." The Prime Minister beamed and told me to tell him how much they appreciated his service and in fact all of our family's service. Wow...

The dinner was served after the speeches. It was excellent , colorful, and tasty. You could cut the bison with a fork. Unfortunately I didn't eat everything because there was so much to talk about.  Topics:

farming in afghanistan
early education initiaitves
raising kids
building nations
helping military families
life on the farm
military wives
Let's Move initiative

It was like a dinner with  great friends talking about big and little things. Mrs.Obama asked me specifically about the kids-where they were and why I think they all decided to serve. I told her about our family military legacy but how they have such different personalities that I never dreamed they would all make this choice. We always emphasized service and they had to work hard on the farm. Maybe it was to get out of baling hay.  She told me how much she appreciates their sacrifices and that of all military service members and families. She said they have so much more to do for  them. I told her how my husband, a Viet Nam vet with three Air Medals was treated when he came home. She said "never again. "

We also talked about parenting. When moms get together that is what we do. We had a lovely conversation and I told her I would love to have her over for coffee someday. :) At one point I expressed my amazement that will all the people in the room the Bryes were at this table. Everyone said without families like ours our country is not possible...wow again!

After dinner the President came over to check on me and see if I was having a good time. I was having a blast! At one point I glanced at my phone-it was already 11pm and the music had not started yet. so much for a 9:30 end time I was expecting.

The music was excellent. Mumford and Sons were very entertaining  and John Legend was amazing. I will admit I did not know who he was but I have been out of the country a lot lately. The proverbial  clock struck midnight and it was time to go back to  reality. As we said goodbye I got a special hug.

My children are my greatest treasures. They have chosen to serve and I am so grateful they are appreciated. I will treasure the memories of this night always

No comments:

Post a Comment